Did you know that there is a formal definition for having bad breath? This is otherwise known as Halitosis. If you struggle with having bad breath and have been looking for cures, continue reading this article to find ways to help you prevent this condition.
What Causes Bad Breath?
There are many causes of bad breath, just as there are many sources of bacteria in the mouth. Halitosis may be caused by the following:
- Specific Foods: such as garlic, onions, and even dairy products.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: without proper brushing and flossing, bacteria can accumulate
- Periodontal Diseases: gum disease can be the number one contributing factor
- Dry Mouth: this occurs as your saliva decreases, meaning the mouth cannot clean itself
- Health Conditions: if you use tobacco products, have diabetes, or respiratory infection, these can all be significant factors contributing to your bad breath
How to Prevent or Treat Bad Breath
The following are tips and plans to help you avoid bad breath:
When you’re brushing, ensure to brush your tongue, cheeks, and the roof of your mouth. The majority of bacteria that cause bad breath lives in these areas.
2. If you have dentures, be sure to take them out at night and clean them thoroughly.
Consult your dentist before using unique products for your dentures, such as deodorizing sprays or tablets. Cleaning your dentures could result in highly positive outcomes.
3. If you are a smoker, tobacco products can increase your bad breath.
By quitting this habit, your overall health will increase significantly, as well as decrease your bad breath.
Check-ups can allow your dentists to discover oral issues that you may not find on your own. Be sure to continue visiting the dentist on a semi-annual basis.
Contact Us Today
If you would like to learn more about treatments, prevention plans or would like to consult with a specialist, contact the experts at Newton Dental Associates today. We are more than happy to assist you. To get started, give us a call at (617) 965 – 0060 or send an email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon.